How to hollow out a book
Hollowed out books are great. They can hide things for you in plain sight or make great presents for friends. Today I’m going to go through how to hollow out a book. Warning: This DIY requires using a X Acto Knife or box cutter, please take care when using these sharp objects!
Estimated Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Box Cutter or X Acto Knife
- Mod Podge or Glue
- Paint Brush
- Plastic Wrap
- First find a book that you can hollow out. Thrift shops are a great place where you can get a nice old looking book. Make sure this book is not an out of print book or valuable. It would be a shame to destroy an out of print book.
- Wrap the cover in plastic wrap tightly so no pages of the book touch it.
- Use modpodge or a glue mixture (30% glue 70% water) and a paint brush to brush the glue mixture/modpodge onto the outside pages of the book
- Close the book and set a heavy object on it.
- Wait until the glue dries.
- Open the book to the page where you want to start hollowing. Using a ruler, create a border with a pencil. After you have created a border, line it up with the lines you have drawn with your ruler. Use a box cutter or an X Acto knife to start cutting the pages out. Do not force the pages out; they should just fall out from cutting. Make sure to get all the corners. This should take a long time to do. Put on some music to pass the time or some TV- just make sure to be careful while cutting.
- When you’re done, you can start gluing. Glue the inside of the book so all the pages stick together.
- Close the book and place something heavy on it. Wait until it dries.
- If you did not want a cover page, you are now done with your hollowed out book!
- If you did have a cover page, glue the first page of your hollowed out book and place the cover page over it.
Now that you know how to hollow out a book, what do you keep in yours? Did this make a great gift?